Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Back to the Beach, then Home















Well I'm back home in Raleigh now, but feel compelled to give my many loyal followers more keen insights, charming antidotes, and gripping prose about the rest of my Brazilian adventures (yeah, yeah I know its the pictures).
I got another pleasant surprise, Toby was unable to make a connection in Atlanta and will be staying through the weekend. I have included a few more shots of Fortaleza, that is the office with Toby walking across the street in front, some patterned concrete sidewalks - nice but littered, and some typical construction.
We shopped for supplies and headed for Guajiru. I decided to drive, Toby rode shotgun, with Vitor and Sandrinia in the back. It is a beautiful afternoon for a drive in the country and all is well with the world, we are headed back to the beach. In the village of Picuru, a cross-roads really, there was a traffic stop set up. Oh man?! I rolled down the window and handed the local Barney Fife my North Carolina driving license. He looked, and looked again a little more puzzled. He began his Portuguese inquest. I had no answers that could be understood as to why I was operating this machine in his town without a Brazilian driving license. Vitor lowered the back window and spoke a few words. I couldn't understand a syllable, but the tone of arrogance and privilege was unmistakable. Ole' Barney clicked his heels and handed back my license with a little wave to keep moving.
"Man, Vitor what did you say to that guy?"
"This is my vehicle and you are my American driver."
We laughed the rest of the trip.

Sunday was Superbowl! I met a restaurateur named Christian who had spent some time in Florida and his English was a pleasure to be around. He was showing the game at his bistro in Fleixeras (notice the pic with the satellite dish on the roof). It was not to be for me as I was stricken with the traveller's disease-running from both ends. I'm now just one more intestinal parasite from my goal weight.

These are pics of Fleixeras, and more of the interior of the big house we are staying in. Notice the size of the huge toad, I almost tripped on him. The friendly dog is named Malik and was a constant companion

Afew more shots of old Fortaleza

No comments:

Post a Comment